Monday, November 28, 2011

Halloween Party


I threw another kids Halloween party this year but I simplified it from last year.  No stress is my new motto (we'll see how long that lasts;) 

My neighbors came over one afternoon and helped us make up invitations.  I printed up the invites then had them tear out paper for hair and eye brows.  Then the kids ran around and passed them out by hand.  My son loved that he got to make the invitations.

I kept the food and decor super simple.  After all of the fun/fancy food last year, the kids didn't eat much so I didn't put much out.  I was going to have a sugar cookie station and let them decorate cookies but when I walked into Sam's Club the day before the party and saw Halloween cupcakes already decorated, with rings on top for $12 I was sold.  Again, it was all about simple this year.  I did make up some fun green foamy punch though.  Big hit.

I put out some toilet paper tubes, google eyes, markers, glue, pipe cleaners and other small things and let the kids create something while we waited for everyone to arrive.

We played a few new games and I recycled some from last year.  We played "witch, witch, ghost" instead of "duck, duck, goose."  Then we played hot potato with a spider.

I made a witch's hat ring toss.  I used a colored foam board for the base.  Then I cut out circles and the tops of the hats from black poster board (you could easily use black party hats for the tops).  I traced a party hat I had to get the pattern.  Then I glued on colored "buckles" and hot glued the hats onto the black circles.  My neighbor had the rings from a game but you could also use pool diving rings to toss.

I bought some ingredients to toss into my cauldron for "witch's brew."

We did the pin the nose on the witch that I made last year.
I filled some recycled jars with candy and had them guess how many there were.

And did a little mummy bowling with our recycled bowling pins.  I taped gauze and google eyes onto them and used a black foam pumpkin for the bowling ball.

I tried to get a group shot.  It was like hearding cats.

I had prizes for the games and sent everyone home with a Halloween ring pop.  I didn't even do goodie bags this time.  And no one cared.  They just like to get together, play games and have a good time.  I need to remember tha more often and not be so worried about creating things "just right" so I have good pictures to blog about!  Lesson learned this year: people just want to have fun.  They don't need you to stress yourself out for that to happen.
  


Pin It!

37 comments:

  1. I have a great party game for kids. I did my little brothers halloween party 2 years ago (or 3 i dunno) and he was around 8 or 9, I'm about 15 years older than him. He had a bunch of kids over and for the game we turned the lights down low (the party was in the evening, we had dinner make your own pizzas which is super fun for kids and easy on you! btw) sat in a circle and handed a flashlight around, the game is to tell a scary story. You start with "It was a dark and stormy night..." then pass the flashlight to one of the kids who adds one sentence to the story and passes it on to the next kid. It tends to get pretty hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds fun! We'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Love your party ideas! So cute! Can you tell me how you made the Witches Hat Ring Toss game? Is it just styrofoam cones covered with black paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See above. I've updated the post.

      Delete
  3. Where did you find the rings for the Witches Hat Ring Toss? by the way, SUPER cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See above. I've updated the post.

      Delete
  4. I agree, how did you do the witches hat game?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great party - and such fun ideas thanks for posting. Question for you - did you make the tablecloth or buy it? So cute with the spiderwebs on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the tablecloth. It is woven fabric. I don't remember where. Probably Marshall's or Home Goods. Sorry! I've seen plastic ones around Halloween with solid plastic ones that go beneath sold in sets.

      Delete
  6. Can you share how you made the witches hat game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See above. I've updated the post.

      Delete
  7. Darling party! I would really like some basic instructions on how to make the witches hat ring toss and where did you get those rings from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I updated the post with how I made it. See above.

      Delete
  8. do you have a template for the invites that you might have printed on the computer before completing the finishing touches??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. I'd be happy to send it to you if you email me. sometimescreative@yahoo.com

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. great! i will emal you, thanks so much!

      Delete
  9. great ideas! And how did you make the green foamy punch??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,

    I saw your witch toss on Pinterest and wanted to see if it was ok if I included it in a round up of kid halloween games I am doing. I love it!! Please e-mail at ladybugcat78@hotmail.com or you can FB me at https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mommas-Fun-World/348182641871820

    Thanks,
    Catherine
    (Momma's Fuhn World)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've love to be included! Thanks!

      Delete
  11. This is really great!!! I love the bowling and the free-styled TP craft. I also agree that they kids just want to have fun and it;s the grown-ups that care about how things look for pictures -- you have done a fabulous job at creating memories and your "no stress" attitude will help other moms not be intimidated when they want to host a party too! I'd love to have you submit your party on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really great!!! I love the bowling and the free-styled TP craft. I also agree that they kids just want to have fun and it;s the grown-ups that care about how things look for pictures -- you have done a fabulous job at creating memories and your "no stress" attitude will help other moms not be intimidated when they want to host a party too! I'd love to have you submit your party on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute! I blog over at http://www.2crafty4myskirt.blogspot.com/ and this Thursday I will be doing a round up of Halloween treats and party ideas. I plan to include this. Please let me know if you are not ok with that:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please tell me more about your witches brew....so you have the kids toss "yucky" stuff into the punch? Then add dry ice or what? I would love more details. Thanks for all the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had them stand behind a line and see who could toss the most "ingredients" into the empty cauldron. I didn't actually make punch or use dry ice. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Every year, Many Best Halloween Party organizes by BONZA BASH Productions. They deliver Seattle’s most amazing Halloween experience

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you kept it simple, low stress and everyone still had a great time! How many kids were there? Did the parents stay? -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a good information. It is purely safe to our kids,and bring them enjoyment and excitement. Thanks For sharing with us. Please visit here for more information as Jumping castles Redlands.And keep share more blogs for us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think your idea for the halloween party invitations was great! So cute! And I think they would be really fun for the kids to help make as well. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It seems like a fun-filled halloween party! I like the Halloween party games you choose especially the rings and witch hat. I love em!

    Cheers and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello! I love your witch hat game idea in this post and I would love to be allowed to use it in a Halloween Party Ideas roundup post that I'm writing! I would credit you underneath your picture here with a link back to your blog for my readers to follow over and see your entire post. Please let me know if this is agreeable with you! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome Halloween party ideas in here. There’s too much to prepare for a party! From invitations, decorations, music and especially Halloween Recipes! Gee excited for this year’s Halloween gatherings: D Thanks for sharing and I do hope I could pin some nice photos on my Pinterest boards. Good day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Amy, how many kids did you have and other then the craft were the activities done as a group ? Curious! Thanks -Fallon

    ReplyDelete
  24. The preparation and decoration for Halloween Costume Contest 2013 is very appreciable. Enjoy the Halloween events in Seattle 2013 with your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love all the ideas! I added a pumpkin toss to your list for our party this year. I purchased a pumpkin chair cover from the Dollar Tree, cut out part of the mouth, place it over a stand that I made out of a card board box. I purchased some plastic golf balls, really you could use any type of ball. The kids will stand behind a line and see how many balls they can toss into the pumpkins mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Halloween is the kind of party that is enjoyed by people of all ages. On this day people love to dress up in a unique way.

    Private Party in Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete