Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sidewalk Art


My neighbors and I threw a "block party" on Friday and we spent the afternoon outside with lots of kids, shaving cream on the slip & slides, water balloons, obstacle courses and arts and crafts. We did the crafts in my driveway and sidewalk.

First we painted. I got this idea last week from Pink & Green Mama's blog and knew they'd love it. And they did. They were already in their swimsuits so I rolled out some white paper down the sidewalk, put out some tempera paint in plastic bowls, gave them sponge brushes and they went crazy. They painted their hands, feet, bellies. They wrote their names, painted pictures, made footprints. In the end they had one big blog and they tried to turn it into another version of the slip and slide so we rolled it up, hosed them off and moved onto the next activity.





Like MaryLea, I always mix in a little liquid dish soap when I let the kids use tempera (even if it is washable) and acrylic paints. Then is washes off them so much easier.

Thanks for the fun idea MaryLea! I'll definately be doing that again. It was easy and the kids loved it.

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome and I'm sure you are now the coolest mom on the block!
    Looks just like my house did except we weren't in swim suits and still ended up in the wading pool!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made some excellent points there. I did a search on the subject and barely found any specific details on other websites, but then happy to be here, really, appreciate that.

    - Lucas

    ReplyDelete